* 1.75 cup coarse cornmeal (I've also used 1.25 cups cornmeal and half cup ground uncooked rice)
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* half teaspoon salt (optional)
* half teaspoon ground mace or grated nutmeg
* 2 eggs
* 1 ear of corn or half cup corn kernels, frozen or canned (if canned, drain and discard liquid)
* 1 handful flaked coconut, unsweetened
* 2 cups milk (dairy or non-dairy)
* 2 tablespoons liquid fat (e.g olive oil, melted butter, coconut butter or bacon grease)
* Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a 10" cast iron skillet or an 8×8" pan.
* In a medium-sized bowl combine cornmeal, salt, milk and eggs. Whisk well with a fork. Let stand for 15 minutes, to soften cornmeal and allow it to absorb the milk.
* If using an ear of corn, remove kernels by standing the ear on the stalk end and sliding a sharp knife along the length of the cob.
* Stir liquid fat, corn kernels, mace/nutmeg and coconut flakes into the batter.
* Quickly beat in baking powder. Pour batter into prepared pan and place in oven.
* Bake 25-30 minutes or until a knife or toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the centre. Allow to cool before cutting.