Mentor, Humber College, School for Creative Writing, Correspondence Programme (since 2005)
· Guest author, Smith College, Northampton, Mass, USA; Otelia Cromwell Day celebrations
· Monitor, online community, culturally diverse arts organizations receiving funding from the Equity Office of the Canada Council for the Arts
· Guest Author, Wiscon 2006 (conference/convention; the annual gathering of the feminist science fiction community)
· Writer Guest of Honour, Gaylaxicon (queer-themed science fiction conference/convention)
· Keynote Speaker, New Paradigms for the Caribbean in the Age of Globalization (conference), Initiative on Race, Gender, & Globalization, Yale University, Connecticut, USA
· Author and Artist/Scholar in Residence, Cultural Studies Programme, Faculty of Humanities & Education, University of the West Indies, Cave Hill campus, Barbados
· Part-time Operations Manager, the Dub Poets Collective
· Instructor, Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy, University of Toronto, School of Continuing Studies
· Reading, Huntsville Public Library, Huntsville, Ontario, Canada
· Reading, “Words in Whitby,” Whitby, Ont. Canada
· Reading, Branksome College, Toronto, Ont. Canada
· Mentor and instructor, low residence Master's Degree in Writing Popular Fiction, Seton Hill University, Greensburg, P.A., U.S.A.
· Online creative writing instructor, 2nd year, Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design, Vancouver , BC, Canada.
· Writer-in-residence, Clarion South Writers' Workshop, Brisbane, Australia.
· Writer-in-residence, Miami-Dade Community College, Miami, Florida, USA.
· Guest author, Kirkland Project for the Study of Gender, Society, and Culture, Hamilton College, NY, USA.
· Guest of Honour, conference, "A Commonwealth of Science Fiction," Science Fiction Foundation, University of Liverpool, U.K.
· Guest author, Omiala Festival of Black Art and Culture, Harbourfront Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
· Guest author, Moving Islands Fall Festival of Fiction, University of Hawai'i at Manoa, "Islands of Globalization" programme.
· Guest author, Paule Marshall Reading Series, New York University, New York, USA.
· Guest author, Eden Mills Writers' Festival, Eden Mills, Ontario, Canada.
· Guest author, Spelman College, Atlanta, G.A., U.S.A.
Guest speaker, interdisciplinary "Nanotechnology Summit: Thinking Small, Thinking Fast;" Banff Centre for the Arts, Banff, Alberta, Canada.
· Writer-in-Residence, Clarion East (writers' workshop), Michigan State University, USA.
· Writer-in-Residence, Green College, University of British Columbia, Canada.
· Writer-in-Residence, Huron College Young Writers' Workshop, London, Ontario, Canada.
· Guest, conference, "Blacks in Science Fiction: A New Frontier," Howard University, Washington, D.C., USA.
· Guest, "Significant Voices: 20th Century African American Writers," Lafayette, Louisiana, USA.
· Guest, "Caribbean Writers Series," Atkinson College, York University, Canada.
· Guest, Calabash Literary Festival, Treasure Beach, Jamaica, Caribbean.
Guest of Honour at Wiscon, Madison, Wisconsin, USA (the annual gathering of the feminist SF community).
· Workshop on introducing science fiction to the classroom, CITE Conference (Conference of Independent Teachers of English), Appleby College, Oakville, Canada.
· Teaching creative writing in high schools all across Canada through WIER (Writers in Electronic Residence).
· Fantasy and Science Fiction Writing workshop through University of Toronto, Continuing Education Department.
Participant, CBC Radio "Canada Reads" debate, with Leon Rooke, Mary Walsh, Kim Campbell, Stephen Page and Megan Followes.
· Fantasy and Utopia; course taught through University of Toronto, Continuing Education Department.
· Instructor, "Rocket Grrls, Chicks in Chain Mail, and Smart-Mouthed Crones: Women Writing Women in Science Fiction and Fantasy." Four-week course through the Toronto Women's Bookstore.
· Fiction workshop at Wiscon (feminist science fiction convention) in Madison, Wisconsin.
· Instructor, "Egyptian Art in the Age of the Pyramids," a travelling exhibition of 5,000 year-old Egyptian artifacts at the The Royal Ontario Museum.
· Teacher, creative writing, senior high school. An online workshop in partnership with high schools. Taught through Writers In Electronic Residence.
· "Writing Your First Novel;" day-long fiction writing workshop at the Arts and Letters Club.
· "Magic Realism, Fantasy, Horror & Surrealism;" day-long creative writing workshop taught through Toronto Writing Workshop.
· Writing circle fiction workshop at Womenfolk Festival, Sauble Beach, Ontario, Canada
2000 to 2002
M.A. in Writing Popular Fiction, Seton Hill College, Greensburg, PA.
Graduate of Clarion Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers' Workshop, Michigan State University.
Bachelor of Arts, Combined Honours (Russian Language and Literature/French Language), York University, Toronto, Canada